How to Register Your Business in Idaho

Is your company hiring an employee in Idaho, but based in another state? Learn how to register your business in just a few simple steps.

Pilot Team
Pilot Team

Home to miles of protected wilderness and the deepest river gorge in North America, the Gem State is a nature lover’s paradise.  It’s no wonder Idaho has two of the fastest growing cities in America (Meridian and Nampa). Then, of course, there are the perennial favorites of Boise, Coeur d'Alene, and Idaho Falls, where visitors and residents alike enjoy vibrant urban attractions and endless opportunities for outdoor adventure. Idaho may not be very populous right now, but at the rate it’s growing, chances are good your next employee may be an Idahoan. Fortunately, no matter where your business is based, collaborating across state lines is easy in this era of remote work.

Bringing on a new employee can be exciting, but there’s often a lot to do as well. You want to onboard your new hire as quickly and smoothly as possible to ensure their success at your organization. But before you get started with onboarding, you’ll need to register your company with the state of Idaho.

Register your business in Idaho in two easy steps:

  1. First, you’ll need to create your SOSBiz account and register your business with the Idaho Secretary of State.
  2. Next, you’ll need to fill out the Idaho Business Registration Application online. The application will allow you to register with the Idaho Department of Labor, the Idaho State Tax Commission, and the Idaho Industrial Commission.

Once you’ve completed your Idaho Business Registration Application, you should receive your withholding account number in about ten business days. If you’d like to learn more about your withholding responsibilities, the Idaho State Tax Commission has a useful guide.

You’ll also be able to create your online account with the Idaho Department of Labor, once you’ve completed the Idaho Business Registration Application. Remember, you are responsible for paying an unemployment tax once you’ve paid $1500 in wages in a single calendar quarter, or employed someone for a portion of a day in 20 weeks in a calendar year.

Interested in expanding your team outside of the US as well? Pilot specializes in managing international payroll, benefits, and compliance for US-based companies, in one secure platform. Our team of HR and payroll experts is happy to guide you through any questions ✨

To learn more about Pilot, request a demo with one of our experts.

⚖️ Legal Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Photo by Ashe Walker on Unsplash

Pilot Team
Pilot Team

Latest Stories

Here’s what we've been up to recently.

Request a demo with one of our experts.

See how Pilot can help you.